Virunga Lodge/Twin Lakes Burera & Ruhondo
The magnificent Virunga Lodge is the premier luxury gorilla lodge of Rwanda and one of Africa’s finest and most renowned lodges. The lodge is perched high on a ridge with stunning views of the Virunga Volcanoes and the Musanze valley to the west and Lake Bulera and Ruhondo to the east. It offers uniquely decorated rooms in the Rwandese style, scrumptious food and exceptional personalized service by carefully trained staff.
Located at the base of the Volcano Muhabura in northern Rwanda, the Twin Lakes of Burera and Ruhondo are picturesque blue water masses surrounded by the Virunga high hills and separated by a one-kilometer strip of land. Visitors can take canoe or boat trips along the waters to take in the magnificent views. Other activities include gorilla or golden monkey tracking in the neighboring Volcanoes National Park, cultural tours from Iby’iwacu Cultural Village, or visits to the tropical Musanze Caves. The lakes’ Swamp Rugezi is one of the most important birding areas of Rwanda, and provides a photogenic, serene area to see a number of species. The lakes provide a wonderful opportunity to see people fishing along the shorelines with traditional methods.
- Gorilla tracking
- Golden monkey tracking
- Intore Dancers – The troupe perform the traditional Rwandan ballet called The Intore
- Visit Dian Fossey’s Grave
- Climb a Volcano
- Lake Bulera Village Walk
- Virunga Water Tank Project
- Virunga “One Sheep per Family” Community Project
- Dian Fossey Map Room
•10 luxurious bandas (6 Doubles, 2 Twins, 2 Deluxe). Each banda has a private terrace where guests can watch the sunrise over the dramatic landscape of mountains and lakes. Luxuriously appointed, with the accent on vibrant Rwandese fabrics and stylish locally inspired furniture
•All rooms are complete with a fireplace, en-suite bathrooms with flushing toilet, double vanity and shower with hot & cold running water. All included is:
- Wifi access in the main lodge building and Dian Fossey Map Room.
- One complimentary massage per guest.
- Full board accommodation including all soft drinks and house alcoholic beverages.
- Complimentary laundry and boot cleaning service.
- Personal butler service for all guests.
- Power sockets/charging facilities and hairdryers in the rooms. No air conditioners.
24-hour Security, Bar, Battery Charging Facilities, Communal Dining, Eco Friendly, Internet Access (Complimentary), Library, Mobile Connectivity, Private Vehicle Available, Restaurant, Secure Parking, Spa
Dressing Gowns, En-Suite, Fireplace, Hair Dryer, Laundry Service (Complimentary), Lounge Area, Mosquito Nets, Safe, Shower, Verandah